Sunday, July 17, 2016

Winter Vegetable Soup

I love to make soup in a crock pot, and this one gave me a chance to try out some new vegetable combinations.  It had a nice licorice under-flavor.  It is not only vegan, but also gluten free. It is also low fat, so about anyone can eat this stuff. It is from the Betty Crocker book (but with modifications :)

2 cans diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning
4 medium red potatoes (I just used 3 pealed russets)
1 celery stalk
3 carrots
2 parsnips
2 leeks
1 can vegetable broth
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste

Prepare the vegetable as for stew. Put everything in a crock pot and cook on low for 8 or more hours.  The original recipe had a corn starch thickening, but I just stirred it well before serving and the cooked vegetables thickened it enough for me.

I served it with cornbread. (not gluten free, but hey, I don't have a problem with gluten.)





No comments:

Post a Comment