Sunday, July 10, 2022

Potato-Tomato Curry

 I picked up a new cookbook at the thrift store, 500 Fat-Free Recipes by Sarah Schlesinger.  I have tried three recipes in it but this is the only one I liked well enough to add it to my blog.  I made a few slight adjustments to fit my taste. This one takes a full hour to cook, so plan accordingly.

2 onions, sliced (I only used one)
1/2 cup vegetable broth (or more, to use while sauteing)
pinch of ground ginger
1 teaspoon each of dried thyme, marjoram, basil, and dill
2 tablespoons fresh parsley or 1 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 cups sliced mushrooms
6 small red potatoes, cubed
3 fresh tomatoes, thickly sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cube curry, or 1 teaspoon curry powder

Saute the onion in a large wok or frying pan using the broth to keep it from scorching. Add the spices and cook 5 minutes until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, then add the potatoes. Cook and stir about 3 minutes, adding more liquid as needed. Arrange the tomatoes on top of the other vegetables, and add enough water so the vegetable won't scorch and squeeze the lemon over the top.  Turn the heat to low and cover.  Cook for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through, checking periodically to make sure the there is enough liquid.

I served this over rice the first time, but it had enough potatoes that I think I will skip the rice the next time.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment