Monday, July 24, 2023

Carrot Onion Soup

 It has been a while since I added a new recipe.  This one is adapted from "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" by Deborah Maddison. It is not a lot different from the Carrot Curry Soup, but I think it has more subtle spices.  I also like the texture of the sliced onions and carrots. 

2 T olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 lb carrots, pealed and thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
1 Tbs parsley flakes
3 Tbs white rice
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
Salt/pepper to taste
7 cups veggie broth

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add onions and cook until softened. Add carrots and cook for a few minutes more, watching that they don't scorch. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the carrots are cooked through.  Remove the bay leaf.  Remove about 1/2 of the soup and blend in a blender until smooth.  Return to the rest of the soup.  Serve. 

Note: The original recipe called for 1/2 tsp of coriander.  I didn't have it on hand.  Next time I do, I will try it with that added and let you know what I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment