Saturday, April 13, 2019

Feasting

It has been almost 2 months since we have started (or attempted) this low-fat vegan diet.  I have not been able to achieve the 10% of calories from fat and 10% of calories from protein, but most days I am at about 15% in both categories, and I believe that is considered a pretty low fat diet. A mild craving for fat and protein is my constant companion. 

On day last week I had a perfect storm of bad eating.  I had a lunch meeting at work where they fed me pasta salad, pesto and chips, and a big sandwich with thick slices of goat cheese. In the evening I had an "ice cream social" party to attend.  Instead of dinner I ate cookies, ice cream, brownies, and cracker-jacks.  I was 250 calories over my recent averages, and ate 40% of my calories as fat.

And do you know what.  It felt wonderful.  It felt so nice to not crave fat for a little while. I felt full and content--much more so than after a Thanksgiving dinner. My whole body relaxed with a happy sigh.

I understand that if I ate that way all the time that would be very bad, but it taught me something about what it means to feast.  Since I have lived in a society where there has always been abundant food, I have never really known prolonged deprivation.  Before, when I wasn't Vegan,  after a holiday meal I felt uncomfortable physically and guilty mentally.  I was eating a lot because it tasted good, not because it felt good.  After that day last week I felt a little guilty, but mostly I felt gratitude that such wonderful stuff as chocolate fudge moose ice cream exists in this world.  It was so wonderful to be free from cravings, and to feel satisfied. I think that is what feasting is supposed to be. 




No comments:

Post a Comment