Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mushroom Fettucini or "No meat does not equal low fat"

A realization I had this week is that vegetarian meals are not necessarily low fat.  I don't know why I thought they would be.  I guess vegetables are mostly low fat, so I thought vegetarian cooking was low fat.  Here is a dish I made this week that was not low fat, but was very yummy. It is adapted from the Betty Crocker book again.

Cook one box fettucini according to package instructions. Drain and place in a 9X13 baking dish.

In a skillet brown
8 oz sliced mushrooms (I used Portobello, but the recipe called for mixed wild mushrooms)
1 onion, cut in thin wedges
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

stir in
2 Tbs flour
1 1/2 cup vegetable broth

Heat until thickened and then add
1 1/2 cup half and half (the recipe called for whipping cream, but I couldn't bring myself to go that far with the fat)
4 oz goat cheese, cubed (goat cheese is a little pricey, but if you think of it as a meat substitute, it doesn't seem so bad,  I mean, how much would it cost to serve pork chops to 8?)

Pour the sauce over the top of the noodles and place in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Sprinkle the whole thing with:
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese.

Return to the oven and heat for another 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.  Garnish with 1/4 cut fresh parsley if desired.

Serves 8



No comments:

Post a Comment