Saturday, April 30, 2016

Creamy Split Pea Soup


Here is another vegetarian recipe I tweaked from Betty Crocker Vegetarian Cooking. I liked this one enough I have made it twice already and love taking the leftovers for my lunch at work.

In a crock pot put:
I bag (16 oz) dried split peas (green or yellow)
6 cups water (or mix part vegie broth)
1 cup pealed and chopped sweet potato
1 cup chopped onion
1 tbs minced garlic
1 tsp salt

Cook on low for 6+ hours.
Add 3 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves
2 tsp dill weed

Simmer until the spinach wilts, about 15 minutes
Add
1 can coconut milk or 1 cup half & half (I like the coconut milk, because it adds a little middle-eastern flavor)
Cook until warmed through
Serve with your favorite deli bread.

For a low-fat vegan variation use low-fat almond milk instead of half & half or coconut milk.
Serves 8


No comments:

Post a Comment